WORM OF CURIOSITY THATS EATING UP MY SANITY!!


Crazy ,Psycho ,Stupid, Idiot is all I can think of right now! I’ve no clue wassup with me. I’m running behind sealed, solved mysteries that have died out years-decades ago. I’m digging the graves. It may sound funny but I have become a grave digger ,rather I am trying very hard to connect dots. I’ve gone completely nuts and this small story that my father told me months back is not only haunting me but has been the main reason for my absent-mindedness and my foul moods. The answer lies only with almighty as to what is wrong with me or what is hidden in that case that I’m pursuing that case of all the cases!

This case I’m researching on took place way back in early 1960’s (probably 1964 as per my calculations).It’s a murder case wherein a lady traveler was raped and later murdered. Internet gives no links to this case. But it’s funny that it has all necessary details about the Raman-Raghav case that happened around the same time ! I’ve heard there is a book written by the investigative officer of that case Detective cop Mr.Vakatkar. Vakatkar did a splendid job of investigation disguising himself as the waiter and getting to the core of the matter and hence the culprits. But this book is amongst the rarest of the rare and lord alone knows will I get hold of it! I’ve been googling the names since past 4 months ,emailing and calling up bloggers, journalist, libraries who might know about the case or may have any little detail about the case may be a small newspaper clipping or books or whatever else .

It all began in July…Its still so fresh ,soft and tender as the rabbit meat that my dad and bro were chewing on on that day. It was probably a Wednesday or a Sunday since they ordered meat .We were on our way to attend the funeral of my grandma. It’s very nauseating experience for me while travelling by car and when it comes to the twist & turns of Ghats it makes me all the more conscious. But the reason to visit the native was important and couldn’t be avoided. It was 10.30 or so in the night and we had 1 more hour to go so we took a halt to have our dinner. The place where we thought of dinning is a small yet famous hotel called as Ruchira in Khed’s Bharnaka junction however it was a sorry thing they did not have non-veg. available then. OK there are enough substitute for everything in today’s market-Coke nahi toh pepsi chalega ! So we entered small dhaba adjacent to Ruchira. As we entered, to change our sober mood ,Dad said, 'O,Siddhi …do you know this place was very once famous ! My grandpa would bring me here to have delicious chicken !They cooked really well' I merely smiled at his attempts and without thinking about any of what he had just said we headed towards the dining table. Dad and bro while gnawed at the rabbits meat, I and ma munched on the veg.thali. As dad continued to nibble at the piece of meat he spoke in matter-of-fact manner mentioning about a rape-murder case that had taken place in the very same place where we were sitting and chewing on the delicious food. This small mention and then he went into the flashback describing the story in his own short sweet style. Hearing the facts , I bit my tongue..aww that hurt! As he went on into the details of the story he spoke about the manager and my eyes immediately glided towards the manager’s desk ..Whoa that guy at the counter.. he was staring at me ,giving me weird looks or maybe I had that silly feeling creeping into me along with the story. Suddenly bells started ringing in my head ..no I guess that was like a gong banging in my head and within minutes I stood up and without finishing my meal walked out of that dreadful place. As I looked back to see my Dad’s reaction ,well of course he was confused as to why had I done that but more than him I was confused.Rage was burning inside me with my head aching, heart reaching out to that poor soul and eyes filled with tears of grief..But this time the grief was not for my close one’s but for the woman I hardly knew !I knew then my hunger for food had vanquished but there was something else that was stimulated and the thirst for which would bring me on the threshold of losing my sanity. Since then the connecting dots has been difficult yet gathering bits& pieces continues.

I don’t know why am I researching o this case in the first place. There are many other intriguing inspiring cases but I guess it was the time, the mood, the situation from the minute I heard about the case ,that has me acting .And not just acting but acting lunatic. It seems that it all happened yesterday and that justice is not yet been done to the unfortunate spirit that was killed. However, that is just not it, the case has been solved and the justice has been done. But I still crave for every detail about the case. I don’t know how sane is it to be this curious about a case that has been solved and closed for more than 50 years now but….All my logical reasoning comes to this word ‘But’ and ceases the matter. All that is going through my mind right now is that ‘I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE MEGHA PATANKAR MURDER CASE’

It feels like what happened to her could have happened to me if I am a lone lady traveler amongst gawky group of men. While you think of relaxing and having your meal ,to get rid of the fatigue generated due to your journey; before you could even bite into a morsel you are surrounded by those goons from your bus…your fellow passengers. You look into their eyes which speak the language of lust ..your naïve..you hesitate, you threaten them ,try to shoo them away and when they don’t budge you call the manager of the hotel. But ‘OH NO !’ even he has teamed up with those bad bad guys…And then they pick her up ,the hotel is shut down and the rest is all gruesome and brutal.

Dad says justice was done and that it took lot of time to investigate but truth found its way. And yet this does not satisfy me and I still go surf the net for any thread that seams the story together and satisfies my long provoked hunger….

Comments

  1. I was searchin fer a particular soundtrack n I got it aftr 11 months.. So i can ndrstand ur plight.. Very intense writin.. Njoyd readin it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes an intense story indeed.. there are thousands of women who are raped and murder in such a brutal way that i can't even express and you have no other option but to sit and cry instead of fight back because they are so violent that you keep numb and keep wondering if that was even a "human"? anyways i'll post a link on facebook about one such story. A wonderful piece of writing siddhi. I like your style, people get immersed into the script! good work.. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its hard for me to understand the mentality of such men. How can they be so blindfolded by lust to ruin a lady's life! Such people simply have no human values, girls for them are as good as toys. Why do such men forget that the lady is also a human being , she has a life , she has some feelings. Its not her mistake if she looks attractive. According to me its the fault of our justice system, those criminals are not punished intensely, mostly its the girl who is not accepted by society if anything of this kind happens even though she is no where at fault.

    I think siddhi u r doing a great job by doing research on such a case. Its really unfair with the women. All the best

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry...took time to comment..but this thing was on my mind all day..i didn't kno how to frame...
    India is a country...as they say 'rich get richer, poor get poorer'...today the richer u r...you can do and get away with anything (I mean cmon ashok chavan jus resigned..uski tijori toh abhi bhi bhari padi hai)...tats how it's always been...as a journalist - the deeper you go ppl r gonna get murkier..it dsnt work wit emotions...u kno in this world it works only if u r practical - coz the more deeper u go into emotionally the more hurt u r gonna get bcoz of tat 'hunger' that awakens...u may disagree wit me..but the media today is so profit-run...i mean y r u the person to think up abt the issue?...y is barkha dutt so busy taklkin to lobbyists?...y dun newspapers/channels tak up issues lik these than showing how explicit a Veena Malik is?...sad state of affairs...I tried reasoning wit ur distress...hope it helped....

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pain, the anxiety and curiosity that has gripped you is evident in your writing. Well such incidents just turn our world upside down, but sadly they are becoming a common phenomena. This article reminds me of the Mattoo case which was something so grotesque. In this fast pacing world , we are so sure that a woman is in every way capable of clashing head on with a man, but such incidents shout out loud and tell us" THINK AGAIN".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey did u get that book??of Mr.Vakatkar????looks like an interesting thing yaar

    ReplyDelete
  7. woow Siddhi.... Intense writing.. really....
    But felt sad after reading it.... 'But' i think dat eventhough d justice was done in Megha Patankar's case, this doesn't happen in every rape or murder case.. Everyday u get to knw a new story bout a certain case and den media comes out wid a story n then suddenly d case gets closed... This is what happens most of d times.. And unless n until every such victim gets justice all these things won't stop.. The judiciary has to be very strict for such cases.. And d culprit shud b given a strong punishment....
    And I also agree to wat Divya said.. really sad state of affairs..
    Neways... Nice writing yaar.. keep it up..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Divya: Don't call them men; they are not humans..! Raping a woman is an absolutely shameful act! What worse can you ask for when you come to know that the human beings who give us birth are the ones who get raped! :( I don't have words now.. Human trafficking is another sinful act.. we can fight it only when we get together..!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment