Book Review: The Peshwa by Ram Sivasanakaran


This is my first Kindle India read. I picked it on a whim during one of those 9 to 49 sales that were going on on Kindle. The Peshwa by Ram Sivasankaran is published by Westland and it is the story of the great Maratha warrior Peshwa Bajirao Bhat. 

After the release of Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Bajirao Mastani, people, especially readers, were drawn towards novels and Bakhars pertaining to the life of the Peshwa. I maintained and I maintain that I do not consider Bajirao and Mastani's romance to be on a high pedestal, for me Rama-Madhav is the most romantic love story ever. Having said that, I do not mean to berate Bajirao-Mastani's love or relationship, or the great deeds done by this Brahmin Kshatriya. 

I hadn't a clue what I was gonna read when I bought this novel. I presumed the story would be woven around some other Peshwa from Bhat dynasty. Turns out the story was about Peshwa Bajirao and his heroice first battle. Bajirao is shown as a young man growing up under the wings of his father, Balaji Vishwanath. From an innocent lad he attains manhood with his first battle against the Nizam Ul Muluk. This is a battle where he first encounters Bangash, the Mughal beast who would bring the turning point in his life. 

The facets about this book I loved were the intricate and engaging details. The novel doesn't bring boredom despite being a historic fiction. The language is grandoise as is the subject. There are certain facts that aren't correct but that's understandable since it is a historic novel and history can be inaccurate at times. What I felt about the writing is that it is quite lyrical. I was consuming the words and the language the author uses and I simply fell in love with it. For a debut novel, this book is laudable. 

Overall, if you want to read a well-knit historic fiction, you ought to pick this book, it won't disappoint you. 

Publishers: Westland Publishers
Available on: Amazon and Kindle India

On the scale of readability, I rate it 9 on 10.

How much rating will I give this one? 4 out of 5 stars. 

If you have read this one, do let me know your views in the comment box below. 

#HappyReading

Comments