The Reserved Mindset

Lately, mere words seem to have grabbed my attention. These words that my father quoted were uttered by his father, my grandfather. Those words have got stuck in my mind &hum every minute making me think.
It was Monday evening. Father was home early. There was something or some news that had him shaken far too much. He wouldn’t utter a word. We all sat confused, in dim lit room near the hearth soaking in the warmth that fire gave out on that freezing eve. None of us knew what was coming or what to ask, we exchanged looks but no one dare ask father what’s the matter, for the matter might be grave or confidential. But I could no more tolerate that look on his face. I gathered all my strength & asked, 'What is it father?' He looked up at me as if I had brought him back from some another world. His eyes looked past me and not a word from his mouth. He placed his cup of tea back in the saucer & cleared his throat as if to announce something important. I still do not get as to why those words suddenly! May be the incidences in our near family had compelled him to recall the story.
He looked at us, we three (Maa, me &my brother) sat staring at him. He began, ' Its been a long &tiring journey for both of us, your mother &me .We have seen &experienced this world. You can say we’ve had the taste of seas in our time. In our time freedom was something whose keys were with our parents .Whatever we did was under their vigilance. There was a lot of struggle. There was a time when we had to sleep on a meal that comprised of a slice of bread and water. I’m talking about this ‘coz we’ve seen poverty &you’ve seen riches. One who hasn’t experienced poverty would never know what it really is! But the point isn’t poverty or hardwork. The point is our efforts to make you what you wish to be. Our efforts to fulfill your dreams. We do not wish to spend a luxurious life on money that you might earn. Our wish is a petty wish, a wish for your success. I sit here &tell you this ,I give my word to you both, do what you wish to do, learn what you wish to learn, I will incur the costs, for you’ve just one life &when you die ,I want you to die sated & educated! In return of these efforts that we put I ask for a mere thing, a thing which your grandfather had asked us to ask our children. I think the time has come to ask you both, to take your promises; do you both give your word? ' Still confused I & my brother exchanged looks; looking back at father we simply nodded a Yes. He continued, 'What I ask is just this-Please do not fall for a person from Low caste or a Muslim! ' Just this & he left & Maa made the next move without any of her opinion on the topic discussed.
I do not wish to ask him the reason, as to why he said it. I do not blame him or my grandfather for whatever are their thoughts. I pity the social system which is still gripped by such thoughts &when one falls prey to any such illness you cannot blame the victims.
' Casteism'-not a mere word but a pulley that pulls the strings of folks, makes them dance like a puppet. I quote, ' India has reached moon ' yet our minds are clouded with practices of voodoo& differences of castes. Castes have become an individual’s identity, his bread earner. Indian political system & Indian economy has a ' Reserved ' place for ' casteism '! Casteism is a weapon to manipulate public mind & fill-refill vote banks. A favourite tool of Indian politicians and thus no one politician can raise his voice against 'Reservation'
I believe when the constitution was drafted there was a need for the system of reservations. However, constitution makers have also mentioned about the provisions to change these clauses when the time comes right. By the right time they mean when merit becomes tool to curb competition, when low castes have achieved a respectable position in the society! It is an unarguable fact that the quota systems are manipulated! When an S.S.C or H.S.C student pass out from open category who has scored distinction does not get admission in his preferred college & when an OBC pass out with mere second class gets admitted-it is here when this caste system feeling gets strengthen. Or I could say this is the start when the seed of casteism takes root in the hearts & minds of youth & his further such experiences water this seed which grows into a plant and what results is ' Do not marry a Low caste or a Muslim '
I would end up with a petty opinion ' Abolishing the caste system can be made possible only by abolishing the quota system '
Let there be Equality & thus, there will be peace!!!!

Comments

  1. Hey Sid.. it's a wonderful blog.. At first I wasn't quite sure but as i continued reading i could literally feel myself in your room, sitting beside your brother and you.. your story telling skills are awesome.. I could actually feel all that you wrote (your heart soaking in warmth, your father being nervous, etc)..

    you've addressed a very important issue.. caste system has been in India for quite a long time and has been the sole cause of poverty and illiteracy..

    We, the youth of India must take the initiative and stop it!

    Nice blog.. enjoyed reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's again a practical and a moving post..i mean how many of us thinks this wa today? we are sort of really extra busy with ourselves..dont know doing what..
    this post comes as an eye opener.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ..its was amazing blog
    i was actually imagining the seen which was reflected in your writting
    i must say u are an amazing writer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment