Book Review: The Secret Shopper's Revenge by Kate Harrison


I don't know what's with me and the obession with novels pertaining to shopping. It comes across as a gender trait perhaps. Nonetheless, I picked the book from Bookchor, an online portal to buy used books. I haven't read the works of Kate Harrison before and I don't remember reading books from Orion publishers. I wasn't skeptical but rather too excited when I sat down to read this book. I was blown away by the cover, (splashed with pinks, blues and glitters) and the feel of the pages. As I began reading I was up for a revelation. 

The story of the novel surrounds three broke girls - Emily, Sandie and Grazia. Their life has cheated on them and they need to avenge their pride. Each one is fighting her own battle and destiny brings them together. They become the shopping angels and that's the turning point of their lives. Not only does secret shopping bring them opportunities to shop in the uppity malls of London but it also helps them achieve the other goals in life. 

Secret shopping hasn't been a new term for me. I have had interview calls to be a secret shopper but the name didn't ring a  bell when I bought the novel. As I went on reading I realized I was entering a whole new meaning of shopping here. The book is flawlessly woven. The characters are engaging, as is their storyline. You see a fine balance of characters there - Emily is a dreamer, Sandie is a hard worker and Grazia too practical. Their team brings in freshness, humor and fun. It rejuvantes you while you read, a spa for your mind, I say. 

I need not scribble more about this novel because it is indeed read worthy. Pick up and test it. Go on. 

Publisher: Orion Books
Available: Amazon, Flipkart, Bookchor

On the scale of readability I rate it 8 on 10. 

I give 4 out of 5 stars. 

If you have read this one, do let me know your reviews in the comments below.

#HappyReading

Comments